September Mixing Challenge - Crapdrums
Most votes€ 400 coupon
Editor's pick 1st price€ 400 coupon
Editor's pick 2nd price€ 200 coupon
Editor's pick 3rd price€ 100 coupon
The Second mixing contest is here and we are going to mix drums. Just drums. Easy, right? Well, we'll see about that ;). It has been recorded decades ago with a crappy set of microphones and a cherry on the top - it has been recorded to a crappy stereo sound-blaster card (many of you probably won't even remember what that means), so that you have some drums already mixed in one channel and other in the other one. Do you think you can come up with a decent drum mix out of that junk? ;)
Rules have changed
After the first mixing contest we decided that the voting wasn't fair enough. So this time it will be a little more complex - after all the submissions we will check all of them ourselves and select say 5-10 best ones, which you will be voting for. Also we will be choosing 3 prizes and you will be voting just for one.
How does it work
Download the audio files below. These contain plain WAV tracks. Mix them in your favourite DAW using MeldaProduction plugins. When you are happy about the results, login to your MeldaProduction account and submit your mix along with the project file below. When the voting stage starts, people can listen to all mixes that we let into the finals and vote for their favourite, hopefully yours. And we will choose 3 main prizes ourselves.
- Submit the mix as MP3 file, preferrably 320kbps.
- You can use any host you want, but you can use only MeldaProduction plugins. Any other plugins are not allowed, even those your host includes. You can use gain and panorama in your DAW of course, but that's about it, anything more complex needs to be from us.
- Normalize the mix to -16 LUFS (integrated loudness). To make the comparison easy, they all need to be similar in loudness, otherwise some people could cheat. You can do that easily using the free MLoudnessAnalyzer - just set the target to -16 LUFS and use the Auto-gain or Batch processing button.
If you don't own the plugins and your trials have expired, you can use the free plugins, or try a different computer where the trials have not expired, or render the mix with trial noise and send it to us along with the project via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will hopefully be able to render it for you - we have all major hosts except for VSL, Logic X (only Logic 9), GarageBand.
- You need to submit your project file as well, so we can check you only used our plugins and possibly inspire from your mix. Don't worry, we cannot really hack your computer or whatever based on your project file.
- You cannot record anything new, the tracks we gave you are all you have. This time we are not producers, but mixing/mastering engineers. But you can do anything to the tracks... be creative, or don't be, it's up to you.
- One entry per person. You are free to post your mix for feedback on other forums or Facebook or whatever, but once you submit it, you have submitted it.
- Check the deadline above carefully. If you don't make it, too bad. There doesn’t exist a single excuse in the world that will make us change our mind on this, so don’t procrastinate.
- No whining. This is supposed to be fun. Not everybody will agree with the winner. Just accept that fact now so we can all move on and have a good time and learn something new.
- Your mix must not hurt our ears. And yes, advertisements do hurt. Smashing your mix into oblivion hurts too. Other than that feel free to be creative.
|#||User name||MP3 file||Listen||Votes|
|1||Dae Lee||download||31 %|
|salvatore nuccio||download||18 %|
|3||Patrick Demonty||download||14 %|
|1||Joseph Greenhalgh||download||11 %|
|David Sunerton-Burl||download||8 %|
|Giovanni Salcedo||download||6 %|
|Maciej Gladysz||download||4 %|
|Bengt Skogvall||download||3 %|
|Olli Holopainen||download||3 %|
|anatoly melnykovych||download||1 %|
|2||Eric Snodgrass||download||0 %|
Submissions not selected for voting
|User name||MP3 file|
|Società Cooperativa Dem'Art||download|
|Pablo Del Pozo||download|
|oberdan de sousa nery||download|